Tuesday 9 December 2008

Oh My!


The ballet!!!

I'm so in love with it.

Jenni and I got all frocked up and eventually got into the city after me having a massive panic about losing my wallet which has now been found ... in my bedroom. How embarrassing! In my defense, my wallet is black, and it was in amidst a big group of Borders bags which have Christmas presents in them, and the bag is also black. DON'T JUDGE ME!

So anyway, we had dinner at a bistro under the Opera House and then went in and watched Manon. May I just say, WOW. It was so much more than I thought it would be. I was worried that I'd be a little bored, but instead I was enthralled. The story is of a girl who falls in love with a man who doesn't have much money, but her brother wants her to marry a very wealthy man. She's torn between the two and eventually there's a fight culminating in her brother getting killed and Manon being arrested as a prostitute. She is deported to America with her not-wealthy lover and gaoled, and there she catches the gaoler's eye who tries to give her gifts, when he is killed by the lover. Two two escape to the swamps of Louisiana where Manon dies.

My favourite part was when Manon's brother, Lescaut, was drunk at a party and did his drunken solo and a drunken duet with his mistress. It was so funny - seeing this mixture of grace and slosh. :) I also thought the ending was so effective when the two were in the swap and behind them, through the smoke and almost dream-like/montage-like, the various characters they had met through the play appeared and moved through the mist. Absolutely beautiful. I can't wait til I can see my next ballet!
In other news, I got home at about midday today and was eating lunch when I thought I'd better check when I start work today. Yeah. I was meant to start at 9. Awkward. Called them and settled it that I would go in at two, and they were fine. Crisis averted!
Also, check this out:
For some reason they've disabled embedding, but that's cool. It's called "Jizz in My Pants". Not sure if I like this one better or "Dick in a Box".

No comments: